After completing this lab, the students will be able to:
- Define Ecology, population, community, and ecosystem.
- Differentiate between producer, consumer, herbivore, carnivore, omnivore, parasite, decomposer, and detritivore.
- assign organisms to their trophic level and construct a food web.
Read the following materials before you begin the experiment.
- Population, Community Ecology and Ecosystem (Boundless Biology at Lumen Learning)
- Population and Community Ecology
- Life History Patterns
- Human Population Growth
- Community Ecology
- Innate Animal Behavior
- Learned Animal Behavior
Watch the following video before you start the lab activity.
- View below or on YouTube Ecosystems (Bozeman science).
let’s view Virtual Biology Labs below (conducted by Department of Biological sciences, East Tennessee State University)
- Model 1 Barnacle competition simulation http://virtualbiologylab.org/ModelsHTML5/BarnacleCompetition/BarnacleCompetitionModel.html
- Model 2 Microcosm simulation
- Predator – Prey Population Oscillation Lab using 100 mini M&M (by Bridget Henshaw, Avoca Central School)
View these Energy Pyramids link, and answer these question below:
1. Explain why pyramid is the best shape to represent how energy flows through an ecosystem.
2. Explain why producers are at the base of the pyramid.