- Homework and Assignments
- Free E-Textbook, Problems and Solutions
- Lab Handouts, Manuals and Safety
- Course Description
- CUNY and LaGuardia Links
- References: Physics and Astronomy OER
Homework and Assignments
Homework modules were developed MyOpenMath and piloted in Spring 2019 classes. MyOpenMath is a free, open source, online course management system for mathematics and other quantitative fields. Functions include randomizing questions, online tests, discussion forum, and automatic grading.
Enrolled students will receive information from the instructor to access their course.
The faculty are writing an astrobiology textbook that will be piloted in Spring 2020 classes.
Download Calibre software for converting and managing e-books
Textbook problem solutions
Lab Handouts, Manuals and Safety
SCP 105 Lab Handouts and Manuals
- Laboratory manuals development is under consideration.
Forms and Lab Safety
- Laboratory Fitness and Health Consent Form (example from Chemistry)
- NS Laboratory Policy Handbook
- NS Laboratory Makeup Form
- NS Practical Exam Form for Students with Disability
- Microscope Diagram Key
- Lab Safety Website
(Source: LAGCC Natural Sciences Department)
The syllabus contains information on Course materials, Instructional Objectives, Grading Scheme and Standards, Homework Assignments, Attendance and other policies, Class schedule and instructors, and Laboratory requirements and experiments.
Download Spring 2020 or view online Spring 2020 (to be added)
This class explores the possibility that life exists elsewhere in the Universe. To investigate this topic, it is necessary to define what we mean by life and then discuss its origins and evolution. Topics covered in the course include identifying potential worlds where life could thrive, the properties of stars that could host habitable worlds, interstellar travel, and the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. Prerequisites: CSE099, ENA/ENG099, ESA099, ENC101, MAT096. 3 credits; 3 hours
Links to CUNY and LAGCC Sites and Resources
Some of the links require login credentials and can be accessed via MyLaGuardia.
- LAGCC Natural Sciences Department
- LAGCC library
- Academic Help/Tutoring and Academic Peer Instruction
- STEM Study Guide
- LAGCC ePortoflio
- Office of Assistive Technology (Students with Disabilities)
- Technology Resources LaGuardia
- MyLaGuardia for Students and My LaGuardia for Faculty and Staff
Physics and Astronomy Open Educational Resources
- Physics and Astronomy OER
- Ad Astra Undergraduate Research Newsletter
Ad Astra is a newsletter where faculty, staff and students at LaGuardia Community College from different disciplines showcase their ongoing and latest research initiatives, scientific and academic accomplishments. Ad Astra presents snippets of new scientific findings, puzzles to challenge your brain and useful information about usual and unusual career paths and possibilities following graduation.