- Homework and Assignments
- Free E-Textbook, Problems and Solutions
- Lab Handouts, Manuals and Safety
- Course Description
- CUNY and LaGuardia Links
- References: Physics and Astronomy OER
Homework and Assignments
Homework modules were developed on MyOpenMath and piloted in Summer 2019. MyOpenMath is a free, open source, online course management system for mathematics and other quantitative fields. Functions include randomizing questions, online tests, discussion forum, and automatic grading.
Enrolled students will receive information from the instructor to access their course.
Download Calibre software for converting and managing e-books
Textbook problem solutions
Lab Handouts, Manuals and Safety
SCP 140 Lab Handouts and Manuals
- Laboratory manuals development is under consideration.
Forms and Safety for All Labs
- Laboratory Fitness and Health Consent Form (example from Chemistry)
- NS Laboratory Policy Handbook
- NS Laboratory Makeup Form
- NS Practical Exam Form for Students with Disability
- Microscope Diagram Key
- Lab Safety Website
(Source: LAGCC Natural Sciences Department)
The syllabus contains information on Course materials, Instructional Objectives, Grading Scheme and Standards, Homework Assignments, Attendance and other policies, Class schedule and instructors, and Laboratory requirements and experiments.
Download Spring 2020 or view online Spring 2020 (to be added)
This course surveys modern astronomy with special emphasis on recent developments in space and astrophysics. Among the topics to be covered will be planetary astronomy and geology, the moon, the possibility of life on other worlds, energy production in stars, stellar evolution, pulsars, quasars, “black holes,” and cosmology. Laboratory periods will include field trips to planetariums and observatories in the N.Y.C. area. Prerequisites: CSE099, ENA/ENG/ESA099, MAT09. 3 credits; 3 hours (2 lecture, 1 lab)
Links to CUNY and LAGCC Sites and Resources
Some of the links require login credentials and can be accessed via MyLaGuardia.
- LAGCC Natural Sciences Department
- LAGCC library
- Academic Help/Tutoring and Academic Peer Instruction
- STEM Study Guide
- LAGCC ePortoflio
- Office of Assistive Technology (Students with Disabilities)
- Technology Resources LaGuardia
- MyLaGuardia for Students.
Physics and Astronomy Open Educational Resources
- Physics and Astronomy OER
- Ad Astra Undergraduate Research Newsletter
Ad Astra is a newsletter where faculty, staff and students at LaGuardia Community College from different disciplines showcase their ongoing and latest research initiatives, scientific and academic accomplishments. Ad Astra presents snippets of new scientific findings, puzzles to challenge your brain and useful information about usual and unusual career paths and possibilities following graduation.