After completing this lab, the students will be able to:
- Identify the organs of the urinary system.
- Identifty the structures of the kidneys.
- Identify the parts of the nephron.
Read the following materials before you begin the experiment.
- The Urinary System (Openstax, AP, chapter 25)
- 25.1Physical Characteristics of Urine
- 25.2Gross Anatomy of Urine Transport
- 25.3Gross Anatomy of the Kidney
- 25.4Microscopic Anatomy of the Kidney
- 25.5Physiology of Urine Formation
- 25.6Tubular Reabsorption
- 25.7Regulation of Renal Blood Flow
- 25.8Endocrine Regulation of Kidney Function
- 25.9Regulation of Fluid Volume and Composition
- 25.10The Urinary System and Homeostasis
- Key Terms
- Chapter Review
- Review Questions
- Critical thinking questions
- The Excretory System (Lumen learning, Bio2, module 22)
- Why It Matters: The Excretory System
- Introduction to Osmoregulation and Osmotic Balance
- Need for Osmoregulation
- Osmolality and Milliequivalent
- Osmoregulators and Osmoconformers
- Hormonal Control of Osmoregulatory Functions
- Introduction to Kidneys and Osmoregulatory Organs
- Kidney Structure
- Kidney Function and Physiology
- Introduction to Excretion Systems
- Comparing Excretion Systems
- Nitrogenous Wastes
- Putting It Together: The Excretory System
- Cerego: The Excretory System
- The Urinary System (Lumen learning, AP2, module 9)
- Introduction to the Urinary System
- Physical Characteristics of Urine
- Gross Anatomy of Urine Transport
- Gross Anatomy of the Kidney
- Microscopic Anatomy of the Kidney
- Physiology of Urine Formation
- Tubular Reabsorption
- Regulation of Renal Blood Flow
- Endocrine Regulation of Kidney Function
- Regulation of Fluid Volume and Composition
- The Urinary System and Homeostasis
- The Urinary System (access science)
Watch the following three videos before you start the lab activity.
- View below or on YouTube Urinary Anatomy lab by Ross Langston
- View below or on YouTube Kidney anatomy by Sam Webster
- View below or on YouTube Pig Dissection Webinar– Carolina Biological (Urinary system start from 34:00-35:51)
- View Urinary System Model presentation below.
Please follow the instructions below before get into Fetal Pig Dissection.
- Fetal Pig Dissection Guideline and Diagram by Dr. J. Lim, (shsu.edu)
Download and complete the urinary system questions from page 15 to 23 on your pdf file. (Hostos Community College) .