- Lab Forms, Manuals and Safety
- Homework and Assignments
- Free E-Textbook
- Problems and Solutions
- Course Description
- CUNY and LaGuardia Links
- References: Biology OER
Lab Manuals and Safety
SCB 115 Lab Manuals
- Lab 1 Scientific Method and Metric System
- Lab 2 Microscope and pH, Acids Bases and Buffers
- Lab 3 Biomolecules and Enzymes
- Lab 4 Cladistics and Kingdom of Life and Cell Structure
- Lab 5 Diffusion and Osmosis
- Lab 6 Mitosis and Meiosis
- Lab 7 Mendelian Genetics and Heredity
- Lab 8 Evolution and Community Ecology
- Lab 9 Digestive and Urinary System
- Lab 10 Circulatory and Respiratory System
- Lab 11 Nervous System and Special Senses
- Lab 12 Reproductive System
Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF) may be downloaded, and then read and filled out with the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Microsoft Office (MS) Word files may be read with the free Office on the Web or imported to the free Google Docs and LibreOffice.
Central Access Reader will read MS Word file aloud, including math equations.
Forms and Safety for All Biology Labs
- NS Laboratory Policy Handbook
- Biology Laboratory Fitness & Health Consent Form
- NS Laboratory Makeup Form
- NS Practical Exam Form for Students with Disability
- Microscope Diagram Key
- Lab Safety Website
(Source: LAGCC Natural Sciences Department)
Homework and Assignments
Development of MyOpenMath modules is under consideration. MyOpenMath is a free, open source, online course management system for mathematics and other quantitative fields. Functions include randomizing questions, online tests, and automatic grading.
Download Calibre software for converting and managing e-books
Textbook problem solutions
The syllabus contains information on Course materials, Instructional Objectives, Grading Scheme and Standards, Homework Assignments, Attendance and other policies, Class schedule and instructors, and Laboratory requirements and experiments.
SCB 115 Course Description
This is a one-semester laboratory-based course in biology stressing general concepts and amplifying them through a study of the human organism. The scientific method of thinking will be emphasized. Topics will include biological chemistry, cell structure and function, classical and molecular genetics, evolution and ecology, and homeostasis will be explored in the context of human biology. Laboratory exercises will include chemical analyses of nutrients, microscope slides and dissection of the fetal pig. Prerequisites: CSE099, ENG099, MAT096. 4 credits; 6 hours (3 lecture, 3 lab). Fulfills “Pathways: Flexible Core-Scientific World”
Links to CUNY and LAGCC Sites and Resources
Some of the links require login credentials and can be accessed via MyLaGuardia.
- LAGCC Natural Sciences Department
- LAGCC library
- Academic Help/Tutoring and Academic Peer Instruction
- STEM Study Guide
- LAGCC ePortoflio
- Office of Assistive Technology (Students with Disabilities)
- Technology Resources LaGuardia
- MyLaGuardia for Students and My LaGuardia for Faculty and Staff
References: Biology OER
- Biology OER
- LAGCC Biology Degree Map
- Environmental Sciences at LAGCC
- Environmental Sciences Degree Map
- Ad Astra Undergraduate Research Newsletter
Ad Astra is a newsletter where faculty, staff and students at LaGuardia Community College from different disciplines showcase their ongoing and latest research initiatives, scientific and academic accomplishments. Ad Astra presents snippets of new scientific findings, puzzles to challenge your brain and useful information about usual and unusual career paths and possibilities following graduation.