After completing this lab, the students will be able to:
- identify the different phases of the cell cycle, mitosis and meiosis.
- Identify and describe the phases of mitosis.
- Describe the cellular events that take place during meiosis and the differences between meiosis I and meiosis II.
- Identify the differences between mitosis and meiosis.
Read the following materials before you begin the experiment.
A. Somatic Cell Division: Mitosis and Cytokinesis
- The cell cycle (Openstax)
- Cell Growth and Mitosis. Press the Play button to start the slide presentation. https://www.biologycorner.com/bio1/notes_cell_division.html
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis and Meiosis (Univ. of Leicester)
- Mitosis- definition, purpose, stages and application with diagram. https://microbenotes.com/mitosis/
- The Differences between Plant Mitosis and Animal Mitosis.
B. MEIOSIS and GENETIC DIVERSITY
- The Process of Meiosis (Openstax)
- Meiosis (by John W. Kimball)
- Meiosis (by Grimes, W. J., Warren, D. K., Univ. of Arizona) http://www.biology.arizona.edu/cell_bio/tutorials/meiosis/main.html
- Meiosis- definition, purpose, stages, applications with diagram https://microbenotes.com/meiosis/
- Beyond Mendel by Dave Krupp.
- Mendel and Meiosis.
Watch the following videos before you start the lab activity.
- View the Mitosis video below or on YouTube channel.
- View the Meiosis-Made super easy-Animation video below or on YouTube.
- Identify parts of the cell and phases of Mitosis from the Mitosis magnetic board below. ( see Meiosis magnetic board images for reference)
2. Identify phase of Meiosis on Meiosis magnetic board below.meiosis-magnetic-model-labeled-1
3. Study the Blue board meiosis below.blue-board-meiosis
4. Study the Black board meiosis below.black-board-meiosis-cropped
5. View these Whitefish blastula and Allium root tip slides below:
- Mitosis in Allium root tip (plant cell), Whitefish blastula (animal cell) and Lily anther (microsporogenesis).
- Mitosis in Allium root tip (plant cell), Whitefish blastula (animal cell) by John H. Wahlert & Mary Jean Holland. http://faculty.baruch.cuny.edu/jwahlert/bio1003/mitosis.html
- Mitosis in Whitefish blastula
- Eight slides of Whitefish blastula