For Lab 2, you will complete two exercises:
Exercise 3 – Microscope content
After completing this lab, the students will be able to:
- Describe the basic parts of a compound light microscope and their functions.
- Explain the proper care and handling of a compound light microscope.
- Learn how to focus and view specimens under a compound light microscope.
- Explore depth of field of a compound light microscope.
Read the following materials before you begin the experiment.
- Use of the Microscope
The PDF can be accessed directly at http://www.lamission.edu/lifesciences/bio3labs/bio3%20lab03-fa12-microscopy%20%20cells.pdf
- Parts of Microscope
Parts of microscope labeled.
- Watch Introduction to Light Microscopy on Jove.com or YouTube before you start the lab activity.
https://www.jove.com/v/5041/introduction-to-light-microscopy. To get a full access material at Jove.com, sign up through the LaGuardia library website
- View below or on YouTube the video Microscopes and Cell Shapes
Please follow the instructions below to begin the experiment.
- Click virtual microscope at BioNetwork.
- Press Guide to get information about Microscope.
- Press Learn to get familiar with the parts of microscope and their functions.
- Whenever you are ready, press explore to start the experiment.
- Then press ? to open the slide box.
- Press sample slides, then press Letter E slide. Now you are seeing letter E in the microscope view.
- Start from the lowest power of magnification, by pressing 4x.
- Adjust the coarse focus, fine focus, and light to get the best quality image.
- With the same E slide, explore with the other objective lenses by pressing 10x, 40x, and 100x.
- After you are done with the experiment, go back to Main menu and challenge yourself with the microscope Test.