After completing this lab, the students will be able to:
- Contrast and define acids and bases.
- Explain the correlation between pH, concentration of H+ and OH–.
- Use indicators to make determination of pH.
- Demonstrate buffers in action.
Read the following materials before you begin the experiment.
- Introduction to The pH Scale (Lumen Learning)
- 3.12: Acids and Bases by Suzanne Wakim and Mandeep Grewal (LibreTexts)
- 2.2 Water (Open Stax)
- The Ph Scale (Lumen Learning)
- pH Definition and Equation in Chemistry (Thoughtco.com)
- Litmus Paper and the Litmus Test (Thoughtco.com)
- What Are Buffers and What Do They Do? (Thoughtco.com)
- Characteristics of Acids and Bases
- Acidic alkaline food chart
Shown below are the characteristics of Acids and Bases and Acidic Alkaline Food charts, which can be viewed directly at mindbodygreen.
Watch the following three videos before you start the lab activity.
- View below or on YouTube How Buffer Solutions are Prepared.
- View below or on YouTube Buffer Activity Lab Part 3.
- View below or on YouTube Anatomy and Physiology – Acids, Bases, and pH.
This lab shows how to measure pH using litmus paper and pH meter. Please follow the instructions below to begin the experiment.
- Click on pH Measurements (Wisc-Online) or the link below:
- Press next at the bottom right of the slide to start the interactive lab.
- When you reach two methods on the screen, select the Litmus paper measurement first, then follow the instruction on the screen.
- When you are done dipping the blue paper and pink paper, press next to view the other method: pH meter measurement.
- Press next and then follow the instructions on the screen.
Acid Base worksheet by Sakina3.acid-base-worksheet