Start with safety
Before working in a laboratory, you need to learn proper laboratory procedures and how to work safely in the lab. Please review the Biology Laboratory Safety guidelines before you begin each laboratory investigation. You can also download Biology Lab Safety PPT slides as one file to view.
Look at SCB115-Syllabus.pdf for accessibility and other policies.
For Lab 1, you will complete two exercises:
Exercise 1 Content
After completing this lab, the students will be able to:
- Explain how the scientists perform scientific investigations.
- Apply acquired knowledge from this exercise in real life situations.
Read the following materials before you begin the experiment.
- Description of the Scientific Method (by Dr. Katherine Harris, LibreTexts)
- Scientific Inquiry (Lumen learning, Bio1, Module 1)
Experiments and Hypotheses
- Scientific Method e-learning, by John Blamire (2003)
Watch the following videos before you start the lab activity.
The Ruler Drop Test experiment is based on a hypothesis about whether men or women will have quicker sensory reactions. To test your hypothesis, measure the reaction time by the ruler drop test.
- Read about the Ruler Drop Test.doc (OneDrive)
- View the Ruler Drop Test video below or on YouTube (https://youtu.be/Fm02i4vEi5Q)
- Scientific Methods and Laboratory Activities (by shsu.edu)
Complete the questions on Worksheet Day 1, Worksheet Day 2, and Worksheet Day 3.