Finding OER Search Tools
The links below are intended to provide a jump start with a few specific resources. They are not exhaustive. Use Google Advanced Search (set “usage rights” at the bottom to “free to use share or modify” ), OASIS, MERLOT, OER Commons, OpenEdCuny, and other OER search tools to find updated and additional resources and connect with others. CC Search or the CC Search Browser extension makes it easy to locate, download and cite images. Stay connected by joining disciplinary OER and general OER communities.
Textbooks and Lecture Slides
- Chemistry Open Textbooks from BCcampus
List of seven open textbooks, including Introductory Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry 2.0, Concept Development Studies in Chemistry, Organic Chemistry With a Biological Emphasis – Volumes I & II, and those listed below from OpenStax and Open Textbook Library.
- Chemistry2e (OpenStax)*
“Chemistry is designed to meet the scope and sequence requirements of the two-semester general chemistry course. The textbook provides an important opportunity for students to learn the core concepts of chemistry and understand how those concepts apply to their lives and the world around them. The book also includes a number of innovative features, including interactive exercises and real-world applications, designed to enhance student learning.”
- Chemistry: Atoms First (OpenStax)*
Chemistry: Atoms First (2nd edition) is a peer-reviewed, openly licensed introductory textbook produced through a collaborative publishing partnership between OpenStax and the University of Connecticut and UConn Undergraduate Student Government Association. This title is an adaptation of the OpenStax Chemistry text and covers scope and sequence requirements of the two-semester general chemistry course. Introduces atomic and molecular structure much earlier than the traditional approach, delaying the introduction of more abstract material so students have time to acclimate to the study of chemistry.
- General Chemistry: Principles, Patterns, and Applications (Univ. of Minnesota’s Open Textbook Library, 2011) Covers relevant aspects of biological, environmental, and materials science.
- General Chemistry – Wikibook An introduction to the basic concepts of chemistry, including atomic structure and bonding, chemical reactions, and solutions. Other topics covered include gases, thermodynamics, kinetics and equilibrium, thermodynamics, redox, and chemistry of the elements.
- Organic Chemistry – Wikibook This is written by a team of experts and chemistry professors from Cleveland State University and other institutions.
- Organic Chemistry – Michigan State University Written by William Reusch, this virtual textbook allows for visualization of 3D-molecular models while teaching principles of Organic Chemistry.
- General Chemistry 1 and General Chemistry 2 (Open Learning Initiative) (textbook and practice adapted from OpenStax within free course)
*All 33 OpenStax books, including chemistry textbooks, are also available as PressBooks versions at BCcampus and available on OER Commons. There are also adapted OpenStax, Boundless (archived by Lumen Learning) and other chemistry books and anciliaries at LibreTexts.
Homework and Exercises
- Exercises for Openstax Chemistry2e on Libretexts
- MyOpenMath “is a free, open source, online course management system for mathematics and other quantitative fields. MyOpenMath runs on the open source IMathAS platform. Functions include randomizing questions, online tests, and automatic grading. It can be integrated into BlackBoard, Canvas, and other learning management systems
Lab Experiments and Manuals
- Chemistry I (LumenLearning)
- Online Chemistry Lab Manual (Santa Monica College) “This online lab manual was created by the chemistry faculty at SMC. Other institutions wishing to use our labs may do so provided that SMC is acknowledged and that the labs are not sold for profit.”
Interactives, Simulations and Games
- phET Chemistry Interactive Simulations
- Chem Collective
“The ChemCollective is a collection of virtual labs, scenario-based learning activities, tutorials, and concept tests. Teachers can use our content for pre-labs, for alternatives to textbook homework, and for in-class activities for individuals or teams. Students can review and learn chemistry concepts using our virtual labs, simulations, and tutorials. The ChemCollective is organized by a group of faculty and staff at Carnegie Mellon who are interested in using, assessing, and creating engaging online activities for chemistry education.”
Tests, Quizzes and Assessments
Multimedia and Images
- CC Search or the CC Search Browser extension makes it easy to locate, download and cite images.
- Wikimedia Commons (images, videos, and sounds)
Free to Access Courses, Journals and OER Hubs
- Freshman Organic Chemistry I & II (Open Yale)
- MITOpenCourseware Chemistry
- Chemistry Resources from Khan Academy
- Organic Chemistry – Khan Academy Supplemental videos that cover topics of Organic Chemistry ranging from organic structures, stereochemistry, and carboxylic acids.
- Chemistry OpenStax Ancillaries & Community Hub “Access, develop and share resources created by the OpenStax community that align with OpenStax Chemistry.”
- Chemistry LibreTexts
- General Chemistry 1 and General Chemistry 2 (Open Learning Initiative)
- Wikibooks -Chemistry contains open content textbooks and other learning resources
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, Medicine Online and PDFs of different subjects that can be downloaded for free by the chapter or the entire book.
The sources listed above are adapted from: