Enrolled students: Are you on the right course page?
If you are in the honors section remain on this page. If you are not in the honors section, go to SCB 201 General Biology I section.
Course Content SCB 201 Honors
- Lab Forms, Manuals and Safety
- Homework and Assignments
- Free E-Textbook
- Textbook problems and Solutions
- Course Description
- CUNY and LaGuardia Links
- References: Biology OER
Lab Handouts, Manuals and Safety
Instructions for enrolled students
Download and save the Word and PDF files on your device before filling them out. Follow your professor’s instructions on renaming and submitting labs.
SCB 201 Lab Manuals
- Lab 1. The Metric System and Measurement PDF, Lab 1 Word
- Lab 2. Microscopy PDF, Lab 2 Word
- Lab 3. Organic Molecules – DNA Isolation PDF, Lab 3 Word
- Lab 4. Diffusion and Osmosis PDF, Lab 4 Word
- Lab 6. Cellular Respiration Fermentation PDF, Lab 6 Word
- Lab 7. Photosynthesis PDF, Lab 7 Word
Notes: The lab manual PDFs submit buttons are inactive because no email address has been added. Enrolled students should follow their professor’s instructions on submitting their labs.
Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF) may be downloaded, and then read and filled out with the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Microsoft Office (MS) Word files may be read with the free Office on the Web or imported to the free Google Docs and LibreOffice.
Central Access Reader will read MS Word file aloud, including math equations.
SCB 201 Lab Handouts
- Lab 1. Metric System, Microscopy and Basic Cell Structure Microscope Diagram Key
- Lab 7. Mitosis and Meiosis Cell Division and Stages of Mitosis
- Lab 9. Human Chromosomes Cut and Paste Karyotyping Activity
- Lab 12. Evolution and Taxonomy Phylogenetic Analysis of the Cladisticules
Forms and Safety for All Biology Labs
- NS Laboratory Policy Handbook
- Biology Laboratory Fitness & Health Consent Form
- NS Laboratory Makeup Form
- NS Practical Exam Form for Students with Disability
- Microscope Diagram Key
- Lab Safety Website
(Source: LAGCC Natural Sciences Department)
Homework and Assignments
Development of MyOpenMath modules is under consideration. MyOpenMath is a free, open source, online course management system for mathematics and other quantitative fields. Functions include randomizing questions, online tests, and automatic grading.
Download Calibre software for converting and managing e-books
Textbook problem solutions
The syllabus contains information on Course materials, Instructional Objectives, Grading Scheme and Standards, Homework Assignments, Attendance and other policies, Class schedule and instructors, and Laboratory requirements and experiments.
Fall 2021 (to be posted)
SCB 201 Course Description
This course is part one of a two-semester sequence covering concepts of general biology. Beginning with an introduction to the scientific study of life, the course covers the chemistry of life, cell structure and function, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, cell cycle and cell division, classical and molecular genetics and gene expression, DNA replication, genetic engineering, development, evolution, speciation and phylogeny. The laboratory component of the course complements the lectures. Prerequisites: CSE099, ENA/ENG/ESA/099/ENC101, MAT099. Fulfills “Pathways: Flexible Core-Scientific World.” 4 credits; 6 hours each (3 lecture, 3 lab)
Links to CUNY and LAGCC Sites and Resources
Some of the links require login credentials and can be accessed via MyLaGuardia.
- LAGCC Natural Sciences Department
- LAGCC library
- Academic Help/Tutoring and Academic Peer Instruction
- STEM Study Guide
- LAGCC ePortoflio
- Office of Assistive Technology (Students with Disabilities)
- Technology Resources LaGuardia
- MyLaGuardia for Students and My LaGuardia for Faculty and Staff
References: Biology OER
- Biology OER
- LAGCC Biology Degree Map
- Environmental Sciences at LAGCC
- Environmental Sciences Degree Map
- Ad Astra Undergraduate Research Newsletter
Ad Astra is a newsletter where faculty, staff and students at LaGuardia Community College from different disciplines showcase their ongoing and latest research initiatives, scientific and academic accomplishments. Ad Astra presents snippets of new scientific findings, puzzles to challenge your brain and useful information about usual and unusual career paths and possibilities following graduation.